When most people think of yoga, they think about skinny and fit women in bright leggings and tight tops. They think about women practicing their breathing, calling it a good form of exercise. They think of women posing in strange positions for certain lengths of time.
Most men wouldn’t be caught doing yoga, even in the gym. However, no matter what they think, it is a very good way to exercise. It is good for the body, as well as the mind. For this reason, you really need to find a way to get more men into your yoga studio.
Here are some ways to market yoga to men.
- When designing your logo, brand, and your studio, don’t make it feminine. Choose calming colors over the ones that attract women, allowing you to attract both men and women. Make sure that your logo will resonate with both sexes.
- When picking photographs for your brochures as well as the walls of your studio, choose a variety of men and women. Most yoga studio brochures and artwork show women doing complicated poses. However, you need to take (or find) some good pictures of men doing yoga to make men feel more at home in your studio.
- Don’t judge them. Most men don’t want to come into a yoga studio because they feel like they are not flexible enough. Some believe that the women in the class will think that they are a creep, just there to check them out. You need to make sure that your yoga studio is a calming place, no matter who walks through the door.
- Make your class friendly toward men. You may have to change your classes around a little bit. Men like to work out, so really focus on working out, instead of doing a lot of breathing exercises. You should also work on poses that use upper body strength, like building the core, chest, and even their arms. Some yoga studios add free weights into their classes for the men. Adjust poses as needed for beginners and men who are struggling.
- It can be hard to market to men in general so you might want to specialize. It can be helpful to pick a niche to start focusing your marketing on. You may want to focus on men who are interested in becoming more flexible or men who have pain that they want to relieve. The larger your target audience, the harder it can be to focus your marketing on.
- Remind them of the benefits of yoga. Men care about results. For this reason, knowing the benefits of yoga may just push them to try it. You may also want to remind them the reason why they want to be more fit and flexible. It can be enough to make everything in life even easier. Yoga is also great for stress relief, as well as keeping your brain active.
- Men need to know that many professional athletes use yoga to improve their sports performance. There are many athletes that swear that yoga helps them with their game. LeBron James, Vernon Davis, and many more will gladly tell you how much better off they are by practicing yoga. It would be even better if you could get their endorsement!
Yoga is not just for women. It can be great for men too! For this reason, more and more gyms are offering yoga to both women and men. They are starting by adjusting their classes so men feel more at home. Then, they are making sure that their marketing materials are gender neutral and calming, instead of purple and pink. They also are using pictures of men in their brochures and artwork, as well as letting everyone know how many professional athletes love to do yoga!
Contact us to help you make your dream gym successful.
David Michael Gilbertson is the founder and president of 3 Elements Lifestyle, LLC., a Fitness and Weight Loss company that specializes in YOU!. With more than 15 years of experience owning, operating and managing clubs of all sizes, David lectures, delivers seminars and gives workshops on the practical skills required to successfully help you with your health and fitness goals. David also helps you build the teamwork, management, and training necessary to open your own fitness center. For more information on Licensing and Consulting Services Visit his Web site at www.3elementslifestyle.com or email at email@example.com or call 805.499.3030